As countries gradually eased lockdowns and as life slowly began normalizing, many received a rude shock when they got their electricity bills.
People discovered that they had to pay a lot more than usual. The reason? Their usage had increased during the lockdown.
In Singapore alone, electricity consumption increased by 22 percent. Malaysia announced that the discount on electricity bills will be extended until December 2020 following outcry from the public on the spike in their bills.
That said, here are some measures you can take to ensure your electricity consumption remains low, ultimately reducing your bill.
1. The Washing Machine.
If there’s one equipment in the house that uses lots of electricity, it’s the washing machine.
To reduce the number of times you use it, make sure to collect a full load of laundry. Pre-soaking heavily soiled pieces and using energy saving features such as the “20 minute wash” helps reduce power consumption significantly.
Oh, and use cold water if there’s an option for this on your washing machine.
2. Servicing the air-conditioning system.
With Southeast Asia being a hot climate, many have resorted to using air-conditioning systems in their house.
But, if you haven’t serviced it for a long time, I highly recommend you to do that as soon as possible. Not only will the system run efficiently and your room get cooler quickly, you’ll also be saving as much as 5 to 15 percent of energy consumption by replacing blocked filters.
Here’s a handy video on how you can replace the filters.
3. Plug-in timer switch.
If you’re the sort to have a table lamp because your little one is afraid of the dark, consider a plug-in timer switch.
Set a timer on the device to assist you to turn off your lamp one hour later. This way, you no longer need to consume too much power or even wake up in the middle of the night to switch off the lamp.
4. Unplug and switch off.
One of my biggest pet peeves is when I see a charger that is not connected to anything but it’s still switched on.
Start having the habit of turning off your appliances and removing them from the socket once you’re done using it.
By focusing on this bad habit alone, you’ll be able to save so much of energy and money.
5. Go solar.
It’s inevitable. Alternative energy is set to become the next big thing. Leading the way is solar energy.
Recent years has seen many solar-powered devices, banks, and lights. In Malaysia, if you’ve installed solar panels in your house to generate electricity, you can sell collected energy to utility companies such as Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB).
Not only will you be reducing your carbon footprint, you’ll also be making money at the same time.
6. Install LED lights.
Unlike fluorescent lights, LED lights are 80 percent more efficient. These beauties not only use less power but they also last six times longer than conventional lights.
According to studies, 95 percent of electricity in fluorescent lights is converted to heat while the remaining 5 percent is turned to energy. It’s the other way around for LED lights.
Cover image sourced from New Straits Times.