In the fight against the coronavirus, every country handles things differently.
From imposing government-mandated lockdowns and social distancing measures, to other unique methods like adopting herd immunity, everyone has their own interpretation of what’s right for their people.
But at the end of the day, numbers prove how good or bad a COVID-19 response was.
In the latest rankings published by the Global COVID-19 Index (GCI), Thailand has topped the list.
In tabulating points for their scoring system, the GCI factors in the way the coronavirus was handled, as well as the country’s recovery from the crisis itself.
Thailand was awarded a score of 82.06, cementing its position on top of the global rankings, closely-trailed by South Korea with 81.09 points on the recovery index.
Rounding out the global top five were Latvia (80.81), Malaysia (79.37), and Taiwan (78.94).
Australia used to sit comfortably in the Number 1 position a few months back, but it has now dipped to 8th place with 77.18.
In the overall top 20 on the GCI, European countries dominated, though the majority of them hold positions in the lower half of the list.
It’s a little worrying to see that Southeast Asian nations only make up three of the top 20 countries on the list.
Only Thailand, Malaysia, and Vietnam made it.
And in fact, Vietnam just barely made it onto the list, sitting right at the Number 20 spot with 70.10 on the recovery index.
But how is the score even calculated?
70 percent of the score calculations rely heavily on big data and daily analyses from 184 countries. The remaining 30 percent of information comes from the Johns Hopkins-run Global Health Security Index, which acts as an assessment of global health security in 195 countries.
And according to the GCI methodology, Thailand fulfilled a lot of criteria in ensuring its top spot on the list. This includes the number of confirmed cases per population, as well as the death rate when compared to the general population of the country.
The ratings also took into account Thailand’s ability to prevent or mitigate the coronavirus, as well as how vulnerable its public healthcare system is when faced with a pandemic of this scale.
Globally, the coronavirus has infected nearly 17 million people, resulting with over 663,000 deaths and counting.
According to Worldometer, there are currently over 5,772,096 active cases across the world, with the current epicenter of the coronavirus being the United States of America.
Where did your country land on the GCI list?
Cover image sourced from AFP / New Straits Times.